TripIt – A Travel App You Need
Got a trip coming up that includes more than one hotel or flight? Then the TripIt travel app is something you need. TripIt will instantly create a master itinerary for each of your trips that you can access anytime, anywhere.
I often read articles about the latest and greatest travel apps. Or list’s citing the upcoming years best. Some seem apparent like Airbnb, Uber, Skype WhatsApp, Currency converters, etc. In some cases, the recommended apps don’t stack up. For example, HotelTonight will come up on many lists. I’ve tried it many times and never once have I found a deal better than Kayak or Hotels.com. Or, the apps suggested don’t solve a real problem like an app to track your time in the sun. Seriously, when did we stop using clocks?
I stumbled across a recommendation for 2017 travel apps. Somehow, I previously missed the TripIt App. And, it’s a game changer.
A longtime fan of multiple legs trips hitting various locations. It’s always a challenge to organize the logistics and make sure that everything lines up. I’ve been doing this manually for years using Excel, then printing out every reservation page by page for back up. Not anymore!
We have a trip coming up that includes nine flights, five hotels and soon to be added car rentals. Four of us are traveling and each couple booked their flights. That’s a lot to track, so I tried TripIt for this trip. Guess what, in a few simple minutes I had a one-stop itinerary. And, TripIt caught an error on one of my hotels where I had booked the wrong dates.
By far my favorite new app of 2018 (even if I am late to the party). This is going to revolutionize all my planning.
Here is what I LOVE about this app and why you should be using TripIt:
- It’s free and available via smartphone or computer. For me this is huge. I spend half of my time on a computer. Not to mention, I find using the computer easier.
- It’s super easy to use. Just forward your confirmation emails, or let TripIt access your mailbox, and the app will create a sample itinerary for you that includes maps.
- If you are traveling in a group, you can forward everyone’s emails from your account to the itinerary you have set up.
- You can merge itineraries. FYI: The system automatically creates an itinerary for each country. Just use the merge feature.
- You can add other travelers and then share the itinerary.
- The app will put everything including check in and check out in chronological order. You can still print if you want a backup. I always do this just in case I can’t access the Internet.
- It shows you detailed info for each reservation like terminals, gates, layover time, who you booked through, your booking reference codes, frequent flyer miles, etc. FYI: When using the app click on each segment to view the details.
- Unlike other apps, it doesn’t matter where you book. TripIt can manage it all as soon as you book a flight, hotel, car or other reservation, forward your plans.
Want to keep track of real-time changes? Upgrade to TripIt Pro. This one is not free, it’s $49 a year, but they do offer a 30-day free trial that I will give a whirl in November.
Let me know what you think of my new best friend!
If you want to know about other apps that I love, view My favorite Free Travel Apps and Why You Need Them!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.