Explore the Caribbean with Brit on the Move ™
With over twenty years of experience Travel, Brit on the Move offers exclusive insight into all things Caribbean.
There are numerous islands in the Caribbean Sea or West Indies, mainly between North and South America. They are part of a broad archipelago far west of the Atlantic Ocean. Although the Caribbean is still primarily a resort destination for honeymooners and retirees and a major cruise ship destination, a slight movement toward eco-tourism and backpacking has opened up the region to more independent travelers. Almost everyone will find something to enjoy in the Caribbean, thanks to its year-round good weather (except for hurricane season in late summer and early fall).
You’ll feel relaxed on an island in Cuba or Jamaica. It is, however, always a good idea to know a few interesting facts about travel to the Caribbean before you go. Christopher Columbus “discovered” the islands on October 12, 1492, despite the islands being populated by indigenous peoples. Discover some more fun facts about the Caribbean below.
1. English Is The Most Widely Spoken Language In The Region
However, locals also speak the local language of each country.
2. Seasons in the Caribbean
This is in contrast to the United States, where there are four seasons: spring, summer, autumn, and winter. Summer is a year-round phenomenon in the Caribbean. In the Caribbean, there are two distinct seasons: the dry season and the wet season.
In general, the dry season lasts from February to June. Warm sunshine and occasional showers characterize the weather during this time. Their wet season lasts from July to January, when more rain falls than sunshine. In addition, this is right in the middle of the hurricane season, which begins in June and ends in November.
3. The majority of the population lives on two islands
Approximately 44 million people live on the Caribbean islands, consisting of thirteen (13) significant countries. There are 7,000 islands in the region, but only two have more than 33 million inhabitants. Cuba and Hispaniola are the island home to Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
EXPLORE THE CARIBBEAN
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best travel tips and inspirational stories delivered monthly. No spam, no sales pitches – TRAVEL!
Brit On The Move™ Travel Resources
Ready to book your next trip? Use these resources that work:
- Book your Hotel: Find the best prices; use Booking.com
- Find Apartment Rentals: You will find the best prices on apartment rentals with Booking.com’s Apartment Finder.
- Travel Insurance: Don’t leave home without it. View our suggestions to help you decide which travel insurance is for you: Travel Insurance Guide.
- Want to earn tons of points and make your next trip accessible? Check out our recommendations for Travel Credit Cards.
- Want To Take A Volunteer Vacation or a Working Holiday? Check out the complete guide to how here!
- Want to Shop For Travel Accessories? Check out our Travel Shop.
Need more help planning your trip? Check out our Resources Page, highlighting the great companies we trust when traveling.